This morning I was talking to a friend...

This morning I was talking to a friend...

a Social Worker who works with patients in a hospital that specializes in homicidal and suicidal cases. I simply asked "How are you?" She told me how stressful some of the cases had been recently. She is very committed to her work and I can understand how her well-being is directly related to her job.

It sounded like it had been a stressful week, so I asked her what she was doing for self-care. Her answer was "nothing, really. I mean, I went to bed early last night". My response to that was "you know, sleep is a necessity. I meant what are you actively doing to restore from a long day/week, to help improve your mood, help restore your mind, and move your body"  you know... increase circulation and stimulate all those lovely muscles of yours?

THERE IS NO TIME

I definitely know how it is to be stressed, I definitely know it's difficult and challenging to balance life, I know how challenging it is to fine 1 minute to yourself... so much more difficult to find 1 hour or 3 hours in a week. However, I believe in making self-care high priority. I made a commitment to myself many years ago that I would make time, at a time when I was convinced it was not possible and I proved myself wrong. It is very possible. Even with 3 kids, a husband, a dog, a demanding full time job, two side businesses, and a very active social calendar, it is possible and it is important.

WE ARE STRONG, BUSY WOMEN

Why am I sharing this? Well, I think this group is made up of a lot of strong women, definitely a lot of busy women, and whether its belly dancing, or yoga, or salsa, or swing dancing, or your Mardi Gras dance group, or some other exercise class.... I think we all need to seek ways and engage in activities that help improve our mood, execise/move our bodies, and restore our minds. Not once a week or twice a week, but at least 3 times a week. The conversation with my friend ended with me recommending she find 3 activities per week that would accomplish this and her replying "I will do 3 and report back" It's possible life will be crazy and it will take several months or a year to establish this new routine, but perhaps it got her thinking.... thinking is good. Reflecting on our daily choices and thinking about ourselves.

SIMPLE MATH

There are 168 hours in EVERY week. Make at least 3 of them about you. That is .018% of your time. that's point. zero. one. eight. percent. Not even 1%. And I know... sometimes it's because we are tired. We don't wanna move. However, that is when it is most important to move, activity boosts energy, if you are experiencing low energy you are not engaging in enough activity.

WHAT IS REST?

Fight the couch.... fight inactivity.... Awaken the Goddess and get your butt moving! Rest is not found lying down. Rest is found when your heart and mind are connected and at peace. Restore, Improve your Mood, Improve your health!

Consider moving to rest. Consider withdrawing to stay connected. Consider dancing for health.
- Karla Marie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking to 2024!

Moulin Rouge Belly Dance Cabaret Show

Come Shimmy with us!